Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday morning stroll

    I had to drop my car off at the mechanics recently and I decided to walk the mile and a half home. As I was getting in my car, I noticed my walking pole hanging on the wall. My sole motivation when I bought the poles was the ad said they would burn twenty percent more calories than walking without them, to me that was a no-brainer.
   I hesitated throwing the poles in my car because I just feel so silly when I use them. I imagine people pointing and saying, "poor mixed up lady lost her skis." To make things worse, I attached a small boat air horn to one of the poles in case I might encounter someone's rabid dog, or a cougar, or maybe I'll get lost and have to signal someone as to my where abouts. (yes, my mind really does think this way)
   I hopped in my car and headed down the road. I noticed my car thermometer said it was thirty-two degrees outside and I began regretting my decision to walk home. When I pulled into the mechanics parking lot I gave myself a little pep talk, put on my gloves, zipped up my coat, pulled out the poles and began the journey home.
  Within the first block I encountered a large group of curious onlookers. There where about ten people waiting for the city bus and they all watched me, eyes wide in wonder, as I walked past clikkity clacking, poles in hand. I simply looked straight ahead hoping my frozen ears would not break off my head before I got home.
   A little further down the road I walked past at an elderly man who asked if it was cold enough to ski. I knew it! I look like that crazy lady after all!
   Feeling totally embarrassed I put my head down and picked up my pace. I decided to cut through the park and was clipping right along when I stepped on the little wooden bridge that was covered in ice.
   Once my feet hit that ice I was sucking air and skiing like no bodies business. I know it was only about eight feet but, I could have gone for the gold. I was never so glad to have those walking poles in my life. When it was all over, I quickly looked around to see if any one noticed. I was proud and embarrassed all at the same time. I finished my walk home a bit shaken, ears still attached and proudly sporting my bright red walking poles.

3 comments:

  1. You are lapping everyone on the couch. The poles.. they're just a fashion statement. Shine on sista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah one for my kind! Almost as good as that last interception by the Seahawks!...Ithat's how I feel anyway;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah my friend, wonderbar!

    ReplyDelete