Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pepperspray Expectations

    Expectations and disappointments

   Caution: "May have no affect on those under the influence of drugs or alcohol."
These were the words written in bold print on the instructions of my new pepper spray gun. Wait a minute, weren't these the kind of people that I was protecting myself against? I almost expected the next lines to read, " This device is sold  for the sole purpose of making you feel better and may be affective on affectionate dogs or the occasional fellow walker." 
   Boy was I disappointed! I had hoped when I bought this device that it would empower me to leave  vicious perpetrators, human or animal, incapacitated long enough for this slow runner to make a hasty retreat. 
     We are met with multiple disappointments every day. Whether it was a plan that fell through or someone didn't do what they said they would, when our expectations aren't met we can feel frustrated and lose faith in our values and people.
   
   2 Timothy 3:10,11 " You however know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith,patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings- what kind of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. yet the Lord rescued me from all of them." 

   I wonder if Paul's plan for his life included  lengthy stays at the local prison? I'm sure that during all his schooling and training; preaching to Gentiles, being beaten and thrown in prison was not on his list of things to do. I imagine there were times Paul was disappointed in the outcome of circumstances or the actions of people around him.
Through it all he was able to minister to thousands and bring the love of God and the good news of Jesus to the Gentiles.
 What was Paul's secret? Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do everything through him who gives me the strength."
    In the margin of my Bible I wrote, " Attitude determines altitude." Disappointment is part of life, how we deal with it can be a  sign of maturity and character. I believe Paul's decision to allow God to work in him and others made him approachable and successful in all he did.
 
   Are you wondering what I did with my pepper spray gun? I decided to keep it. It does make me feel  little more confident when I walk alone and it just happens to be one of my favorite colors, cobalt blue.










   

2 comments:

  1. Hurray you're back and just as good as ever!! I love the real life comparison. Oh, and I would keep the pepper spray too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially since it's cobalt blue,..never disappoints that cobalt blue and neither do you MissTrue Blue.

    ReplyDelete