Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Let me bend your ear

Talk, talk, talk
   “Hmmm, can I tell her now? Wait; is this a good time to tell her? Man, this is torture!” these were my thoughts as I stood in the bank line for twenty minutes, just waiting for an opportunity to tell a story to my poor unsuspecting teller. She was working hard on an important job for me, interrupting her just to tell a story could result in a financial failure that I didn’t want to explain to my husband. So, I kept my mouth shut. It was an excruciating twenty minutes. I even checked out the guy in line next to me to see if he would be a willing listener, he was clearly not interested in anything I had to say. I left the bank with a job well done but I felt a bit deflated, I had some really great stories and she totally missed out.
   Have you ever heard the nineteen-sixties song by Frankie Ford, You Talk Too Much? It starts with a verse that says “You talk too much you worry me to death, you talk too much you even worry my pets, you just taaalllkk, talk too much.” It’s in your head now isn’t it? This song pretty much describes my personality.
   Being an extrovert and loving the art of a one sided conversation, I view people as potential listeners where ever I go. Don’t worry, if you can’t think of anything to say, I will rescue you. Really all you have to do is sit back and listen to my stories. If you’ve already heard it, no problem, it promises to get better each time I tell it. No person is safe, no place is off limits; grocery lines, sample tables, laundromats, even bathroom stalls are not taboo.
    My only frustrations comes when I try to have a one sided conversation with another extrovert, “excuse me, I was still talking and you rudely interrupted.”  Also those people that clearly lack listening skills and are easily distracted by things like, their kids, other people, house fires, bank robberies and other unimportant happenings.
1 Corinthians 13:1 says, “If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don’t love I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God’s word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything as plain as day, and if I have faith to say to a mountain, “jump,” and it jumps, but don’t love, I’m nothing.”
   In my quest to put others first I am slowly making progress. Allowing people to interrupt me and then wait for them to invite me to finish what I was saying has been a very hard mountain to conquer.  Walking away without reciting at least two gripping stories leaves me unsatisfied, but I need to keep in mind that others may have something to say and maybe they aren’t as out spoken as I am.
   It’s amazing what I learn when I do one simple thing, listen. I’m not saying that being an extravert is bad; knowing great stories and having the ability to deliver them successfully is a gift. If I don’t take the time to listen to others then I miss out on how truly unique that person is. How can I possibly know if a person is hurting, lonely, in need of a friend or even what their favorite color is if I continue to be the “creaking of a rusty gate?” It’s a matter of preferring others and it isn’t always easy.
   So, as I learn to put others first and muzzle my mouth a bit don’t worry, nothing is wrong, I am just choosing to hear about you for once.






AND because I just couldn't resist.

9 comments:

  1. I wore a top I bought at your yard sale and I got a compliment wearing it It was fun having something new to me to wear today. thanks for having a great sale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love a good story and my Sis never lets me down :)
    Never change...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love a good story and my Sis never lets me down :)
    Never change...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angela,
    I enjoyed the warmth and humor in your writing..Thanks...This spoke to me: "If I don’t take the time to listen to others then I miss out on how truly unique that person is." Visiting from #TellHisStory

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me too. I heard it in a good way. Not easy.

    Go Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. BAHAHAHA! I love this Angey....so true something that I have had to work on too. Love the Grumpy cat.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I am late to this party, but when I think of you or am talking with you I don't feel like I don't get my turn. So you must be doing something right😍

    ReplyDelete