Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Choosing the high road

Salt or Assault, a Retail Story

   “Hey-you, do you have a Kermit the frog?”
I could tell by the impatient tone in the man’s voice that he needed immediate attention. As I looked up from the cash register, I was surprised to see a short, middle aged man with gray hair that hung in messy curls around his round wire rimmed glasses. Nestled against his green army coat was a Perry the Platypus stuffed animal under his arm. I greeted him with the usual retail smile and told him I would check. 
   When I found the shelf empty, I returned to let my eager customer know. His reaction caught me completely off guard; he threw Perry at me and called me a few unpleasant names. I just stared at him, confused and angry. As my face grew hot and my ears turned bright red, I snapped.
   Speaking sharply through clenched teeth I read him the riot act, “Look here you little gray haired munchkin, besides needing a lesson in manners you need to get your values straight! It’s a stuffed animal and I refuse to put up with cretins like you for a measly nine bucks an hour!”
   As I screamed at him, tiny drops of spit landed on his “John Lennon want-to-be glasses, forming irritating beads. I reached across the counter, plucked those glasses from his face and broke them in half. Shoving the crumpled glasses in his hands I wished him a good day and left him standing with his mouth gaping wide open.

Okay, dream sequence over.

   In reality I picked Perry off the floor, dusting him off I handed him back to the man. I politely excused myself telling him I would search the back room and was happy to deliver Kermit into his hands.

Matthew 5:13-16 says, “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled on by men.
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead, they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.” (NIV)

   In this crazy, mean world there are many occurrences that can make me lose my appealing flavor. Rude people or bad circumstances can make me jump right off that light stand and run for the nearest bush to hide under. It feels natural for me to stand up for my rights and refuse to be treated badly, but Jesus calls me to a higher, more loving standard. He even goes as far as telling me to love my enemies and pray for those that persecute me.
    Hmmm, persecute?! Strong’s concordance says persecute means to systematically oppress or harass a person or group. This has negative reaction written all over it.
   I know it’s hard and seems unfair, Colossians 4:5 and 6 offers a bit of practical help to get us there.

“Use your heads as you live and work among outsiders. Don’t miss a trick. Make the most of every opportunity. Be gracious in your speech. The goal is to bring out the best in others in a conversation, not put them down, and not cut them out.” (MSG)

   Choosing to be salt and light is hardly easy, but I must make the active choice to be different from the rest of the world. That’s why it is so noticeable, it is rare and refreshing. Love, patience and kindness stands out like a beacon. Choosing to climb that hill and shine for all to see brings glory to our Father and ultimately makes our life better.





 




 

2 comments: