Wednesday, July 23, 2014

You are never too lost to get back on track.

Walking in the right direction


      Distractions are just a part of life, keeping focused on the right path is not always as easy as it seems.
The first time my son borrowed my car he had his whole trip planned out except the directions. When he went to his dad for those directions I knew it was not going to end well. My husband is a very detailed person, Doug is not. I watched as half way through the conversation, Doug’s eyes glazed over and the distant look of a coma fell on his face.
Doug and I share the same outlook on life; it’s called KISS or Keep It Simple Silly. I once asked my husband for directions to a nearby city and his reply started with, “Have you ever noticed the plume of smoke in the north westerly direction?” I had to stop him in mid-sentence, “Wait, who do you think I am, Geronimo?” I asked. I’m not even sure which way North West is and he wants me to notice a plume of smoke? Who talks like that anyway?
 Doug left the house scratching his head and about an hour and a half later we got the phone call, he was lost. Not only was he lost but he was in an entirely different state. I took over the phone and told him to turn on the GPS. You can’t get any simpler than that. Later I asked him why he didn’t use the GPS in the first place and he said he turned it off because he didn’t think he needed it. 
 It is so easy in life to get off track and get out of God’s will. God has given us His own GPS, it is His word, and it’s simple and straight forward.

Psalm 119:105 and 133 says, “Direct my footsteps according to your word, let no sin rule over me.” And “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.”

I thank God for his love, mercy and grace. He is always there to get me back on track. I later asked my son where he thought he went wrong, he said it was when he stopped listening to the instructions and turned off the GPS. Hmmm, that is a great lesson to remember.
 Proverbs 16:3, 9
  Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.





 



1 comment: