Thursday, January 15, 2015

One who stands alone ...falls alone.

Two heads are better than one

     We are all familiar with the expression, “absence make the heart grow fonder,”  Well, sometimes I think it actually makes the heart grow forgetful. It's easy for life to get busy, and time blows by like wind on a short fall day. Before I know it, good-fellowship seems like a distant memory and long time friendships feel lost or stolen away.
  I know going to church and keeping in touch with others can seem like a chore, so why do I  drag myself out of bed every Sunday? With barely enough time to slap on some makeup, put on a thrown together outfit, scream at my uncooperative hair and shoot evil glares at my ever ready husband, I dash out the door always on the late side of punctual.
   I have attended the same church for thirty- seven years and I am most thankful God planted my roots so deep. I love my church family and will even say I need them. Ready to help, fierce in prayer, lavishly giving and constantly growing; they are pivotal in  helping me succeed in life. They don't care if my hair is ratty or if my jeans are too tight. They are there to help me out when I'm in trouble.     It's not a perfect system by any means and like any family we all have our shortcomings, but I believe my life would be a complete mess without them.
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 says,
  Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed. If one person falls, the other person can reach out and help. But someone who falls alone is in real trouble. Likewise, two people lying together can keep each other warm. But how can one be warm alone? A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple braided cord is not easily broken.
   God is social and that is how he created us, to be in fellowship with each other, I often wonder why I choose to deal with hard times on my own. Feeling like I belong and having someone to encourage me just makes life easier.
 It’s not just being in the same room but it’s all about getting involved. We all could use a little help from a fellow brother or sister; after all, we are family.  We are connected to His social network for a great purpose; to encourage one another.

Hebrews 10:24, 25
  Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of His return is drawing near.




4 comments:

  1. My favorite line: God is social and that's how he created us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i just love all your posts. They make me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you see life my Cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I often choose to deal with hard times on my own... So true! And saying it outloud sounds so silly. It's good to know I can always call you. Thanks, my friend.

    ReplyDelete