Friday, May 23, 2014

Feeling the love

A Father to the Fatherless

    Growing up in a broken home was anything but easy. Sometimes we went without the basics like food, clean clothes or a bed to call our own. Sometimes we lived in our car and even once stayed in a church. I used to envy other families that had both parents at home.
    I first met my real dad when I was twelve. Getting to know him was a bit of a challenge, we were so different. One thing I remember most about my dad was when he put me on the bus to send me home after the first summer I stayed with him, I couldn't wait to get out of there. I looked out the bus window and he was crying. Right then I knew he cared for me and I decided that I would work on this relationship.
   It was difficult from the beginning; he was born in the south and i was raised in California. Half the time I had no idea what he was saying and his choice of “country food and ways” were not what I was accustom to. My first visit to North Carolina (which is my birthplace) was like entering another world. We had a “pig picking” in my honor, it’s a big family barbeque and you roast a whole pig. The night before everyone arrived I woke in the middle of the night to use the restroom. Sitting there in my sleepy state I was suddenly startled wide awake staring at a whole pig, head and all, covered in ice, laying in the bathtub next to me.
   We have spent many happy years just getting to know each other. We don’t always agree on a lot of things but we are ok with that, we choose just to love and enjoy each other.
   It wasn't until I was older that I came to realize every family is dysfunctional to some degree. Some of us never meet our fathers and some of us wish we never knew them. Life isn't perfect, but we have a perfect heavenly father who loves us with the true “unconditional love” that we all desire. He wants his children to succeed more than anyone else and is the proudest dad that ever existed.
       
Psalm 68:4, 5
   Sing to God, sing praise to His name, extol Him who rides on the clouds – His name is the Lord – and rejoice before Him. 
A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in His holy dwelling. (NIV)
The Message Bible says it like this, “Father of orphans, champion of widows, is God in his holy house. God makes homes for the homeless, leads prisoners to freedom, but leaves rebels to rot in hell.”
 
This is the most recent photo and one of my favorites
 
My dad was a prison guard for years, he was highly respected.

 
I just love this photo.
This is my dad naturally, loved by little old southern grandmas everywhere. (he doesn't smoke anymore)

1 comment:

  1. Angey, I know I say this a lot, but you are a really good writer. You definitely have a gift from the Lord. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete