Monday, March 31, 2014

Sometimes life trips us up.


Chunky Sandals

 

   My middle daughter was going through a clumsy stage at about ten when she fell in love with a pair of chunky sandals. You may remember this fad; they had wide, brown leather straps and tire tread soles. They were so heavy that they stretched out which made a sloppy fit.

   We all decided to go to the mall and she asked to wear the sandals. I told her no, but she wore them anyway. She tripped as we entered the mall and there she went, all the way down, spread eagle on the floor, with her giant orange smoothie in her hand.

   Well I flipped out to put it mildly. Melody was crying, I was yelling and there was orange smoothie everywhere. I probably should have reacted with a little compassion, but I was embarrassed. I finally told my daughter she had to take off the sandals and walk barefoot through the mall. She was mortified at this and cried that she would look stupid walking through the mall in bare feet. I just looked at her, dumbfounded! I was thinking how ridiculous she looked spread out on the floor covered in smoothie!

   Isn’t this the way it goes in life sometimes? We make wrong decisions and end up embarrassing ourselves, and making a big mess. It’s so comforting to know we have a loving Father that has a perfect path etched out for us and is willing to gently guide us along the way.  He instructs us through His word and time spent with Him. He is the best teacher of all; He wants us to be blessed and to succeed not trip all over and mess up our lives.

Psalm 32:8

   I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you.

 

2 comments:

  1. Love your story! And love your "trippin" daughter she is one of my faves.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that Mel! Look how good she turned out:)

    ReplyDelete