Tuesday, June 17, 2014

help me notice people

Jesus saw the people

    While wandering around the local chain store with my four year old grandson, we both spotted a certain lady at the same time. I cringed because I knew what was about to happen, you see she was completely bald. When you are an adult you learn to look quickly and then discreetly go on your way, but when it comes to a curious four year old, everyone gets to hear what they are thinking.
   “Look at that bald lady grandma, why would she do that to her hair?” he asked loudly.
I was sure everyone in the store heard him and the heat of embarrassment rose from my neck to my face in an instant. She looked directly at me and started walking my way, I wanted to shrink like a mouse and run for cover. She turned to Connor and explained that her sister was sick and lost all her hair so she shaved her head to make her sister feel better. I was touched by this lady I and asked if we could pray for her and her sister, she looked at me with caution at first then said yes. When we parted ways I felt so blessed inside and was glad that I could be an example of love for my curious grandson. 

 Mark 2:13-15
   Then Jesus went again to walk along the lake. Again a crowd came to him, and he taught them. Strolling along, he saw Levi, son of Alpheus, at his work collecting taxes. Jesus said, “Come along with me.” He came.
 Later Jesus and his disciples were at home having dinner with a collection of disreputable guests. Unlikely as it seems, more than a few of them had become followers.

   When I first read these verses my thoughts immediately went to Matthew. What was he thinking at the time? Was he hoping Jesus would notice him or did he want to blend in? He was probably used to being shunned, given his choice of occupation, so I wonder if he was shocked when Jesus invited him to come along with him.   Matthew didn't hesitate, Mark simply says, “he came.” I believe that Jesus’ reputation of love and care preceded him. Matthew didn’t need a healing or a miracle, he needed a friend. Matthew needed someone that would accept him and love him right where he was. His job earned him the reputation of riffraff by the religious leaders of the time but he was much more to Jesus.   
   Jesus saw Matthew; he invited him to be a part of his life, to be a friend and part of his family.
    Jesus is all about people, He loves them. He doesn't care if we're fat or skinny. He doesn't slink with embarrassment if we are too loud or have bad manners. It doesn't matter what our financial status is or our choice of occupation, Jesus died for us all and loves every one unconditionally.

Sometimes a simple hello, or how are you, works wonders. It’s so easy to let the business of the day or maybe even the fears of rejection keep us from ministering to others. Don’t worry about what people may say, just reach out to those around you and prepare to be blessed yourself.

Add caption
My little paleontologist with his fossilized bone

2 comments:

  1. Touching. I love the ladies response as well as yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes my heart happy. I so love you Angela!

    ReplyDelete