Saturday, June 7, 2014

love is patient, even when traveling with small children.

                                                               

                                                            Wrong way  

Years ago I went on a trip out of state with my brother. We were going to visit family and this was our first official trip together. We packed his van loaded up his two kids, hooked up the travel trailer and we were off. Little did I know the trip was doomed from the beginning.  It was a fourteen hour drive full of “are we there yet?” children arguing and lots of stops for tiny bladders and hungry tummies. When we finally arrived there were fourteen of us staying in a two bedroom mobile home. It’s all a bit blurry now but I still shudder at the memory.
After an unrestful and drama filled week of visiting we packed up and left for home. We stopped at a diner on the way and it was another hour of spilled drinks, whiney kids and tired conversation. Before we left we all decided to go to the restroom. My nephew, who was about six years old at the time, came out of the bathroom at the same time I did. I reached up, patted him on the head and to my surprise his head was wet! I asked him why his head was wet and he said he accidentally peed on his head. I was flabbergasted! I just stood there looking at my hand and then his head and wondered how that was even possible! 
 After a quick head wash we started off down the road again. It was my turn to drive so I entered the freeway ramp and a funny thing happened, I saw headlights coming at me. To my horror I realized I had entered the off ramp and I was going down the freeway the wrong way! Paralyzed with fear I just stopped in the middle of the off ramp and slunk down in my seat, I was sure we were going to die.
 In the middle of it all my brother calmly told me to switch seats and he would get us turned around.  This is one of my most embarrassing life moments. I know if my attitude had been better I would have probably seen all the blaring WRONG WAY signs. We finally made it home and to my brother’s credit he has never brought that topic up again, maybe I scared him. 
The end of a matter is better than its beginning, and patience is better than pride. Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.
I love the way the message Bible puts it in verse 8, “Don’t be quick to fly off the handle, anger boomerangs. You can spot a fool by the lumps on his head.

Looking back I sure wish  that I had just been patient and enjoyed the ride. In life there will always be the unplanned and unpleasant but the way we look at it and respond makes all the difference in the world. Whether you are at the beginning or at the end of something ask God to help you see the good and enjoy the ride. Save your self from those embarrassing lumps that come from foolish anger, your life and others will be  much happier for it.








All grown up and I love them to pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment